Multi-coloured styles are easier to match to your clothes than combos of just two colours. The more colours in a sandal, the more shades it complements.
The beauty of this sandal is in the simplicity of the design and quality of materials. Dark navy is a more flattering summer neutral than black.
White is an easy summer neutral which complements any colour. The toe bumper protects your manicure, and the rubber sole helps to prevent slips.
These soft gold leather sandals have stable block heels a little over 3" in height. The ankle ties give a feminine touch, perfect for summer evenings.
Dark tan is a warm shade which complements even the palest skintones. These wedges give you a small lift, and they'll look lovely with a midi or maxi skirt.
A pretty style with lasercut detailing and multiple slim straps: this flat offers plenty of support, while the silver finish gives a day-to-night hint of glam.
A simplifed gladiator style in "natural" leather. Wear with shorts, flowing skirts or just a bikini and sarong. Practical for all your summer adventures.
Styles you can wear year-after-year don't have to be dull. This simply-shaped canvas flatform is adorned with gold stripes for a touch of sparkle.
With no guarantee of a long summer in the UK, I always advise my VIP clients to select timeless sandals which will last them for several years.
So how do you select styles which won’t date and look wrong next year?
Here are my 7 essentials for picking your timeless sandals:
1. Avoid heavily embellished styles (e.g. beading, embroidery, appliqué) as they can date easily.
2. Don’t buy a pair because it’s on-trend. Buy it because it suits your feet and your style.
3. Only choose prints and colours you love and won’t get sick of.
4. Do select colours which complement your entire summer wardrobe. Chances are the weather won’t justify a drastic change to these seasonal items any time soon.
5. Never buy distinctive sandals which you’ve seen on a celebrity: they’re bound to be copied by every high street chain and will look “so last year” next year.
6. Avoid exact high street copies of styles from the catwalk. There’s too much chance of having the same sandals as someone else.
7. Buy quality leather sandals which will be comfortable, mould to your feet, and last for a long time.
One of my favourite brands for flat lace-ups and boyish slip-ons Hudson have launched a highly wearable selection of timeless sandals. Click through the slide-show at the top of the page to find your favourite.